Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Family is a good thing

I'm back. Had a great time in San Francisco with son John and his friends Adrian, Jud, Renu, baby Ava and all the folks at U.Street Lounge. The restuarant, only open for 3 months, is doing well. Thursday night we went to the concert courtesy of Adrian. His friend Jane Glover, CBE, conducted the Baroque Orchestra and we were able to meet her after the concert.

Friday we went to Marin to visit 96 year young Aunt Marie and cousins Sonny and Susan. My Aunt is sharp as a tack. She questioned John about U. Street, whether it was a suitable place for her grandaughter Julie, just 22, to visit. Sonny was in the 82nd Airborne in Korea, the same paratrooper unit as my grandson Johnny is now.

Saturday John and I flew to Seattle then drove to Mt. Vernon to see my wee "Irish" mom, Mary. She is so funny. On the way to dinner, I asked her why she was pushing her walker so slowly. Mom, looking stern: "I'm an old lady you know. I'm 100." Mom, I said, "you were born in 1919, you're only 86, a young chicken." The nurse rolled her eyes and said Mom tells everybody she is 100. She likes it when they respond that she looks really great for 100 years of age. See what I said about my "Irish" mom.

Daughter Carolynne, husband Ray and grandaughter Christy drove up from Bend, Oregon to be with us. Christy just got her braces removed and looks prettier than ever. She turns 16 this month, so watch out on the roads. We all visited brother Bob and wife Maureen who also live in Mt. Vernon. All in all a wonderful family get-together.

On the flight home on Sunday I sat next to a young man who is entering West Point in the fall. Sean Hoyt reminded me of my grandson, same age, same youth, same idealism. I'm encouraged by this generation.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bill, Cooper here. I just read about spending time with your family in the Bay Area. I completey agree that family is great. The dialogue with your mother telling people she is 100 actually made me laugh in the library.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home