Saturday, July 02, 2005

Soldiers Angels

From Hugh Hewitt’s web site, an e-mail from SoldiersAngels:

"I wanted to let you know that our Adoptions Unit has been swamped over the last 3 days. We have processed over 900 adoptions in the last 72 hours...

We are working really hard on a couple of projects right now:

Operation Armor Up - We purchase and send KEVLAR blankets to soldiers in combat zones. The soldiers use these armored blankets to line the doors and floorboards of their Humvee's and personnel carriers to protect them from direct fire and exploding IED's. These blankets cost $925 and in the last week, we have purchased 6 to send over into the combat zones.

Operation PC - We are working with a Colonel at Brooke Army Medical Center in Texas to purchase PC's for wounded soldiers to use while in the hospital and take home with them so that they can keep in touch with their units back in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Backpacks for the Wounded - We provide backpacks full of personal items, toiletries and love to our soldiers returning from battle injured and alone. Many times these soldiers are evacuated without their personal items, and they cherish what we are able to provide. We include a special handmade blanket which provides them with some security after the horrors they have experienced.

These are just some of the many projects we are currently working on in addition to our normal activities such as providing calling cards to soldiers so that they can keep in touch with their loved ones back home, purchasing plane tickets for families and heroes to reunite, dedicating living trees to those who have fallen, and much more."

So dear friends, don’t forget to sign up at Soldiers Angels to adopt a soldier. Melanie told me at Starbucks this morning that she already has done so after seeing my post on 6/29 (Lessons of September 11th). Way to go Mel!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote to 2 soldiers and a Marine during the VietNam War.
I signed up to be a "Soldier's Angel". Thanks, Bill for encouraging us to do so.
I am now awaiting my 'approval' and the name and address of my adoptee.
Presently, I write to a dear girl in prison, serving 18 yrs. Our latest discussion is on forgiveness. :)

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh,Just checked my e-mails!
I have my adoptee~ Cyrus~ His APO is AE..I wonder if that is Afganistan?
Time to write~

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Bills for this info. I am waiting to find out who my adopted soldier is going to be! I adopted a soldier during the Gulf War and enjoyed the experience.
Dori Medina

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bill -

I have already heard from my Soldiers' Angels "mentor". Ironically, her name is Melanie, too. I will be composing my first letter to send with the care package today. I'm really excited about this endeavor.

Talk to you soon.

Melanie

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

Thank you for the e-mail on Soldier Angels. I volunteered for operation gratitude about 3 weeks ago and really felt a need to "serve" my country in every way I can. I am very interested in adopting a soldier----and would be interested in more details and information about it if you have it.

Regards,

Julie

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so wonderful!
Thanks to both of you, Billy and David, for the info : Soldiers' Angels and your encouragement for your friends to sign up!

I just finished writing to my new adoptee, Cyrus! I need to look up his APO AE in a minute. Wonder where it is?

And I am going to send out a care package of this year's Road and Track mags.

His unit asks for magazines and toiletries, so off to WalMart to pick up the latter.


PJ

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home