Friday, July 07, 2006

Happy 4th from Brian



So today is the 4th of July! I am already missing the beach and its barely 9 am. The base CO has allowed everyone not working to wear civilian clothes for the entire day. We normally cannot enter any facility on base when not in uniform. The chow hall is also barbequing all day today. The Marines in my company are still working, as we are tasked with protecting the base 24/7. My section was lucky today as we just got off a 48 hour shift and we had the rest of the day off.

The pic I have attached is from a patrol we did south of base, we had Combat Camera attached with us and he snapped the pic of me while we were on a halt . I was the point man/navigator on the patrol. I tend to get the job because I am proficient with a GPS/map, and I haven’t got us lost yet! I'm holding an AK-47 that I borrowed from one of the Djibouti soldiers.


The day patrols are hot but not all that bad, the night patrols are worse because of the humidity. The temp got down to 98 last night at about 1 am, we thought it
was quite cool. The AC we have in our tents cools the air to about 100 degrees during the day, and in the 80s at night. On those “cooler” nights if the air temp dips below 85 we start to shiver. It has been really hot and windy during the day. The heat during the day feels like a blow dryer blasting your face. We are having some dust storms also, not fun…especially when you have to be out working in it.

We are getting more and more word about when our replacements will be here, but our return home could be affected by the events in Somalia. I will know when our
mission is over when I actually set foot back in the states, who knows when that will be.

I have been receiving lots of boxes for the orphanage, thanks so much. We have just secured an old boat that my company will be converting into a jungle gym for the local boys orphanage. We usually have to give up a little sleep to find time for the projects, but its worth it. I really appreciate all of the stuff everyone has been sending. I hope all of you have a safe and fun 4th, make sure to have a beer or two for me. Thanks for all of the support in my African endeavors!


Happy 4th of July!!!!!!!

Brian

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless Him!!!

John

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless Brian and all the other heroes there!!

Rose

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God bless Brian for what he does. How can I help him? Where can I get more info about it?

Haya

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless Brian and his military partners! What a neat guy. He looks like a "Ken doll" in this photo!

Those of us who live locally will have a great home-coming with Brian when he comes back home...right Bill?

Dori M.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home