Friday, May 19, 2006

United 93 and Brian

I arrived in San Francisco yesterday afternoon and went to dinner with John and Lynora at a little Italian place on Chestnut a block from his appt on Alhambra. I know I am not in SoCal whenever I taste the Bolognese sauce. This was just like New York, and almost as good as Lee's.

After dinner we went to see United 93. I was nearly overwhelmed. It became hard to breathe when the brave Americans finally realized that they were on a suicide mission and decided to take action. When Todd Beamer said Let's roll, I stopped breathing until the screen finally went black. Every American over the age of 12 ought to see it. We need to know what evil looks like.

On a more cheerful note, here is the latest missive from our Palos Verdes hero, Brian Weiss.

Djbouti, Horn of Africa

It's hot hot hot… I know, I always seem to talk about the heat, but since it is a huge factor in all that we do it seems reasonable. It hit 127…the temp in the shade is 105 +. The temp at night is still staying around 85-90 with the same amount of humidity. During the day the humidity is around 40% and even with the temp in triple digits its not too bad, but as it cools off into night the humidity really hangs on you.


Funny thing about the heat is that all the running water on base is hot, all of the tanks are outside and since I have been here I have yet to use the hot water side of any faucet. The hot water side pipes out water that is hot enough to boil eggs. I have been hitting the pool here on base; usually the only time we have to hit the pool is during our sleep time. The pool is full of chlorine, and warm but it’s a great workout.

We hit the pistol range today for our final qualification. I shot expert both on the pre-qual and the qualification. For those of you like my Mom who don’t understand the shooting badges in the USMC, expert if the highest award. We are having a shooting competition in a month or so and I may be shooting on our Executive Officer’s team. He was pretty impressed with my shooting and is considering me to shoot with him.

I'm short on time today so the email will be short. Thanks again for all of the emails and well wishes, boxes, packages, birthday cards, newspapers, ect ect ect… As I’ve said a million times, Mail is Key! I hope all is well with all of you!

Brian

PS
I went to the local orphanage the other day and fed an 11 month old baby who had been abandoned because he had chicken pox. If you have items for babies (bottles, bibs, clothes, ect…) please mail them to me as the orphanage works totally off the generosity of others.
Thanks again.

LCPL WEISS, BC
4TH PSC 5TH SECTION
OEF
APO AE 09363


OK friends, we have our marching orders. Let's take care of those babies. Send baby wipes too. Our grandson always asked for them when he was in Iraq.

6 Comments:

Blogger pappy said...

House Armed Services Committee Chairman Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) Hunter strongly disagreed with Murtha's statement that undue stress on the Marines contributed to the killings. "I totally reject that," he said, adding that the actions of a single squad should not reflect negatively on the rest of the troops engaged in Iraq or their mission. "There has been no war in our history in which you didn't have incidents in which people did the wrong thing at one time or another," he said. No one should "tar the honorable service of 922,000 brave Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan with the reported actions of one squad in one city on one
Of course you're so brave you have to use Anonymous.

12:05 AM  
Blogger pappy said...

By the way I'll take my stand along side Billy and Brian any day and even tell you were to meet me

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go kick some liberal butt Pappy!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Bill Lama said...

Sapersein of NYC,
I find it awful/tasteless and disgusting that a New Yorker would not cheer the bravery of the Americans aboard United 93.

And don't bother to post long articles from lefty authors about the horrors of war. At least the Shias and Kurds now have the strength to fight back against the Bathists who oppressed them so long. Your comment is hereby deleted.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Bill Lama said...

Anonymous,
John Murtha is a disgrace (U.S. Troops Killed Innocent Civilians 'In Cold Blood,' Rep. John Murtha said).

And don't bother to paste newspaper articles into my comments.... It's gonzo.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

come on lama, let's hear why you're opposed to usama bin laden! Or are you afraid of engaging in a debate!?

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home