Thursday, September 07, 2006

Equinox to Machu Picchu



Thanks to the generosity of Edler Realty (Thank you Kitty and Rick) I am enjoying a week at the new super fitness club in Palos Verdes. Equinox has it all, and it’s clean, not to mention plush. But it is pricy.

At six times what I pay for 24 Hour Fitness, I wonder if Equinox is worth it. But I know the answer from Evo-Psycho: Of course not, you fool! What does it have over 24 Hour, aside from the salt water pool (which I don’t use)? Well, it is CLEAN and everyone is soooo friendly.

I’m conflicted, so I asked a friend. Angel-Sue said “Go for it, you only revolve once you know.” Turning to my Zoner friends, I checked with TexasJudy (angel-toes) and she was for it too. So I thought I’d do a quickie poll, with a twist. Millie (angel-lips) suggested that all the PalosVerdesBlog readers should have angel names, so if you reply give yourself an angel name. Judy thought up angel-smile, anger-nose, angel-derriere, .. you get the idea.

If any guys reply, which I doubt, you are Archangels, like Michael. Hey gals, don’t blame me. It’s just a rule in the Creation Game.

Should I go for it? Thought I could give up golf to pay for it, before realizing I don’t play golf. Give up skiing? Don’t ski. Tennis? Nope. Photography? Nah, digital. Zone Bridge? It’s free. You see my problem.

Meanwhile, #1 son John and his friend Kate are hiking up to Machu Picchu. "Why?" you ask.Thomas Kostigen in MarketWatch: “How do the very wealthy spend their money? You may not want to know.”

Jet setters spend an average of $98,000 per year on "experiential travel," which includes guided tours, such as photographic safaris, or hikes to Machu Picchu, or eco-tours to the Brazilian rainforest, or kayaking in Baja California during the gray whale migration.


John writes:

Once in Lima we had a 6 hour layover before our flight to Cusco, 11,000 feet high in the Andes. We were dead tired, so after McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts, Kate and I found a place to sleep on pews in a little airport chapel. We awoke to a bunch of locals who work at the airport sitting all around us saying the rosary in Spanish. That was surreal, especially with our lack of sleep!

Now we are in Cusco which is a very old Inca city, apparently the capital of the Inca civilization for a period. This is our home base for visits to Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca. All I have seen so far is the hotel since I napped a few hours after arrival. Hotel Marquesas is very cute.

Here is some info on Machu Picchu; http://www.sacredsites.com/americas/peru/machu_picchu.html

And our trek along the Inca trail to Machu Picchu; http://www.sastravelperu.com/english/inkatrail.html

We are doing the full four day Inca Trail hike. Should be fun.Well, I am going to get some more coca tea and meet Kate to walk around Cusco. Catch you later.
John

Titicaca, I like that word. Think I may join Equinox.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

09 08 06

Hey Bill:
I hope you are enjoying yourself. Machu Pichu eh, I wonder what types of cool things your kids will see there! Have fun:)

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad,

Wow... I am sure John is having a fabulous time. Can't wait to see all the pictures.

As for "Equinox"... Have you signed up yet??? You 100% deserve the best!

~ Angel daughter!

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from Puno, Peru! I arrived here today on the shore of Lake Titicaca, the highest elevation navigable lake in the world at over 11,000 feet. We are going to stay with a local family on the lake tomorrow, and visit a group of people who live on islands made of reeds. Should be interesting.

The hike along the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu was amazing. There were two other Americans from Colorado, a couple from Ireland, three nice people from Austria, and three cute girls from Quebec. Everyone spoke some English, but there was a lot of French, German, and Spanish going around. We hiked over 45km camping three nights, all up and down mountains including "Dead Woman´s Pass" at over 14,000 feet! It was spectacular.

Then we spent a couple days at a jungle lodge in the Amazon. We had a very fun interaction with a bunch of monkeys. The alpha male kept baring his teeth at us so we knew he was in charge. Meanwhile the rest of the monkeys came up to us looking for food. One of them had actually learned to lift up velcro flaps and unzip pockets! It was a little spooky how smart they were.

I will send a link to my photos next week.

John

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home