Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Revelations

What could be better than a drama about an astrophysicist (Bill Pullman), a nun (Natasha McElhone) and a Satanist (Michael Massey) dealing with the “end of days.” Produced by Bush supporter Gavin Palone (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”) and created by David Seltzer (“The Omen”), the NBC show debuts at 9:00PM tonight.

The astrophysics professor lecturing on the “Big Bang” is questioned by a student: You talk of science creating and destroying the world; is there no room for God in this equation.” For Big Bang enthusiasts this (destroying the world) implies that the professor believes that the dark energy in the universe is not sufficient to hold off the “big crunch.”


Since I began blogging and playing Zone Bridge, my TV watching has dwindled to almost nothing, no big loss when the television schedule is filled with endless varieties of Law and Order (one was good), American Idol and The Apprentice. But I’m going to give this new show a chance.

What convinced me was the LA Times review that calls “Revelations” a “ham-handed referent for these collective anxieties (Terri Schiavo, 9/11, terror alerts) which lurk in the background of the show’s grandiose sense of religious intrigue.”


Anti-religion criticism by the LA Times is good enough for me.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm... what's Zone Bridge?

Stephanie
http://thedailyvegetable.com

4:25 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Hugh was plugging the show as well. TV is not a normal part of my day and I don't follow any series (except Steve Austin - Snakemaster on Animal Planet). I had planned to watch last night but it slipped my mind as a packaged my tax filings. I understood that it was a series and if so I will try again next week.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,

Just wondered what your take was on the show? Personally, I found it quite disappointing, and will not be following the remaining 5 episodes.

What a chilling thought.... agreeing with the Times opinion!

Doc

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home