Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Djibouti, Gitmo and Iraq Updates



Here are recent updates from three of our favorite warriors Brian of Djibouti, “E” in Gitmo and Johnny Walton in Iraq. I’m still sending packages to all three and appreciate recent contributions from Haya and Lori.

Djibouti

I had a great week in Kenya! We met lots of really fun people, good food, perfect California weather, and some quality time out of our cammies. During the week we saw giraffes, lions, cheetahs and many other African animals. Picture attached of one of the cheetahs I was able to pet.

We have been working lots of hours, and that is why I haven’t sent many emails. The 2nd picture I sent is from one of our last ranges where we did a simulated chemical gas drill, although not when this picture was taken. We are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Depending on flights and mission requirements we may be home in a month, please cross your fingers!

Most importantly, thank you for the support from back home. The kids at the orphanage are leading better lives because of your generosity. I have received the last few boxes of soccer equipment today, and we are trying to schedule a day where we can go out and distribute the stuff to the kids it will benefit most. The mail is very slow here. If you plan on sending anything more for the kids please send it to the Base Chaplain with my address, he will make sure to distribute it.


In total I have 40 plus soccer balls plus shin guards, cones, whistles, soccer clothing. My small tent area is overwhelmed with soccer equipment, but as long as I can get to my rack (bed) I will be OK. We are starting our new schedule Wednesday, and I should be able to mount up some Marines and head out to the school and orphanage with the equipment.

Thanks so much for everything you have done for me while I was here. Without you this deployment would have been hard, but the last 6 months have been pretty rewarding thanks to your support! I will try to get one more bulk email out before I leave. We cannot disclose our flight date for security reasons, but I will send out an email once I’m home for sure.

Brian

Guantanamo

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the package. It is absolutely great. I am going to pass the Jerky around. Some will go to the guards, some will go to my guys in our shop, and I will take out a package when I go fishing next. (We fish out in the bay-two week haul- 6 baracudas, 3 Jacks, 1 hammerhead, 4 small sharks, small various snapper, among others) And the books will get passed around as well. The "Attila" book on his leadership secrets was a nice touch. (It is on the Air Force reading list.)

Your grandson is in a great outfit. The 82nd is an historic unit, known the world over. Sports magazines (old or new) would go over well. I owe you a pic of your goodies in action. I just got a new digital camera. I will send one once I take it.

Thanks again,
We all appreciate the support,
"E"


Somewhere in Iraq

Hi Dad,
Johnny will be excited to get all the goodies! He asked for gum and chap- stick (regular). I went to Costco and got him some batteries. He uses them for his MP3 player and other stuff and says he goes through a ton of them. He also asked me for protein foods, specifically puddings. Have you heard of them?

Did I tell you that I sent Brian a pack of Trident splash - strawberry with lime? I figured he would appreciate that (he is always talking about limes)!!

I don't know where Johnny is at this time. The plan was Mosul. I asked him where he was and he said "Iraq"! I asked if he could tell me where and he said "no"! I hate that, but I guess it is a security issue. I just keep saying my prayers and ask God to watch over Johnny.

Thought you would like this:


Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Love,
Carolynne





2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great messages. I will keep all in my daily prayers. Must be especially hard for you as Grandpa!.

Love to All of Our Soldiers, Airmen etc.

Marie

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what it's all about, or supposed to be.

Thanks for sharing all this beautiful "stuff"......

Julie

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home